Wednesday, January 27, 2016

After a While You Just Get Used to It by Gwendolyn Knapp

After a While You Just Get Used to It: A Tale of Family ClutterAfter a While You Just Get Used to It: A Tale of Family Clutter by Gwendolyn Knapp
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Humor combines with unvarnished personal and familial stories--delivered with non-mawkish affection--to produce these original, memoir-esque tales. Disparate topics such as IBS, cyber-cheating, and hoarding are delivered via Knapp's unique voice. It's not easy to speak about members of your family so deeply, honestly, and critically without losing any (or all) of a reader's sympathy There's underlying heart in not explaining away why people are they way they are. It's very genuine and refreshing. I'd want someone like Knapp writing my biography. Which I realize is an incredibly vain thing to say. How about this: She's someone I'd want to have a conversational, lengthy interview with for a blog post. One where she asks all the questions.

BTW, I came across Knapp's work via Eater, where she contributed a perfect story of what it's like to volunteer at Tales of the Cocktail. It's also included in this book.

Cover Distraction Rating: Very low, unless there are squirrel aficionados in your train car.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment