Sunday, November 29, 2015

Mast Books East Village

Right around the corner from where I'm staying until mid-January is Mast Books. I recently stopped in and was impressed by the selection. Dare I use the "c" word and say it's well-curated?

I guess I just did.

Anyway, the books have to be thoughtfully chosen because of the limited space. You can get everything form cheap used titles to fancy collectibles. (I went for the former.) They also had some cool, old-school flyers for Black Flag and other similar shows in a display case. Which seemed prescient considering the last book I read.

Another plus for Mast Books? Open until 10pm. So you can stop in and grab a book when en route to your local. Stick your nose in a book instead of glazing over a smart phone glow.

I picked up two used books:

Martin Amis: The Moronic Inferno and Other Visits to America

Joan Didion: The White Album (Essays)

Both are somewhat united by taking a look at the state of America in the 1970s and 80s. I've read a couple of Amis' books but this will be my first exposure to Didion.

(Martin's father, Kingsley Amis, wrote the best description of a hangover ever, in Lucky Jim.)

Read more about Mast Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment